Thursday, November 30, 2017

Thursday, November 30, 2017



Today is the last day of November! And one of my last-day-of-the-month routines for THIS particular year is to check my progress on the book I planned to finish writing this month, see what more needs to be done, check my notes for this book and determine if I can indeed write the last of the book today! I was ready to do just that for the poetry book I have been working on this month – and everything toppled to the ground when I pulled out my original note for this book. When I got the idea for this book, I wrote it down on a sheet of paper. That paper has been in my writing notebook all month. But I never really consulted it. I gave it a quick glance, got the theme “Deaf,” and went to work. Then today I read it more thoroughly and, well, it just threw me off track. Because I saw my original notes and realized that I wasn’t writing the book I originally planned to write! The poems I wanted to write were experimental poems. Something a little bit different from the norm. The poems I have been writing are NOT experimental! Most of them are free verse, yes, but they’re pretty much your standard fare for poetry. So I saw my notes and suddenly wanted to write THOSE kinds of poems for this book! Oh, but wait, I already wrote these other poems for the book. They’re not experimental, but they’re not bad, either. (Well, that’s what I think, anyway!) And they do have some good messages coming from a deaf person to the hearing world. But I couldn’t really decide which type of book to make THIS particular poetry book. I thought about it a lot, compared it to similar books already out there, and thought on it some more. I even tried writing some of the poems in that experimental form. I STILL couldn’t decide! So I will leave this one unfinished until I can decide which route to take with it. If anything, maybe I’ll just combine it. I don’t think that will hurt anything.



Aside from that, I also did some more writing in GHOST Group 7 today. 

LATER: Hours after I posted that, I wrote up a storm. Lots of poems of the experimental type. I have decided to combine both books. The poems will be BOTH traditional and experimental. That said, it's done. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment